Sheamus makes its first SEA stop in PH to promote WWE Live in Manila

POSTED BY: Nestor Domingo Jr.
2019-08-24 11:06:00 PHT

It was earlier this month when WWE superstar Sheamus hit Southeast Asia for a couple of visits. The first half of his SEA stop was the Philippine capital Manila for the promotion's upcoming live event this September 20.

The stage was set at Skinny Mike's Sports Bar in Taguig City in a scorching white-hot Thursday afternoon, for his meet-and-greet event which featured him and a bouncer who looked like the Fil-Greek great Batista. Aside from fan encounters the Celtic Warrior bonded with the press regarding his status with the E as well as how his vlog has been on a roll.

Known as Stephen Farelly outside the squared circle, Sheamus has been one of today's prolific superstars in the World Wrestling Entertainment. For over a decade, Sheamus has put a lot of feathers in his cap – being a four-time WWE World Champion, United States Champion, Tag Team Champion for both RAW and SmackDown divisions, King Of The Ring winner in 2010, Royal Rumble Winner in 2012, and Mr. Money In The Bank in 2015.

Indeed, that has set the bar up high on anyone.

Still, he has a lot of chores left to do – one of them is capturing the Intercontinental Championship that will put his name in the hall of Grand Slam winners in WWE.

“If I get back into the ring, the Intercontinental Championship will be the first thing I go after,” said Sheamus. “It's definitely the one I want to finish the collection. It's that one Infinity Stone. Once I get it, in the click of my finger. Boom!”

Well, he still have chances to have a “Full House” since this elusive white-and-gold title is in the same division he belongs to.

Another thing in his list is facing a bunch of young guns inside the squared circle, such as Aleister Black, Tomaso Ciampa, and Wolfgang.

At present, Sheamus has taken a time-off since suffering an injury in early April and has since focused on his workout videos and its #BraveChange advocacy. He clarified rumors on his retiring from the sport and instead wanted to face Brock Lesnar one more time before he hangs his boots and tights.

And should the call of retirement comes, Sheamus said he plans to go on acting - following the likes of Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, Dave Bautista, and John Cena as the flock of wrestling superstars-turned-actors today. Well, with his performances as a villain for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The Shadows, along with a respectable number of participations in his filmography, it's not that hard to see him coming at the screens near you.

As a fellow international superstar, the Dublin-native Sheamus has nothing but praises for Kofi Kingston – who hails from Ghana, as well as his rival-turned-tag team partner Cesaro (Switzerland). He admitted that he had certain biases on Drew McIntyre, Rusev, and Cesaro and claiming them as The Next Big Thing in WWE.

While it was evident that WWE is gaining even more international flavor, Sheamus said anyone can make it to the big stage of sports entertainment – even for Filipinos.

“There's no reason from a country like this that there can't be a WWE superstar - man or woman – to come through here and represent this country,” said Sheamus. “They just don't make excuses. They go the right way by their training, they go the right way by their wrestling and they get proper training from someone who knows what they’re doing and they don’t take unnecessary risks in the ring. I think there definitely could be.”

This statement shed light on a lot of Filipino aspirants, considering that Jake De Leon, Ken Warren, and Crystal – three wrestlers from Philippine Wrestling Revolution – were part of the Asian delegation that made its way to a week-long WWE tryout in Hong Kong.

But what makes Sheamus come back in the country, aside from having a Filipina as his girlfriend?

“I've always said that what makes a country great are the people in it,” answered Sheamus. “The food is amazing, the people here are amazing. Everyone here is so proud to be from the Philippines - everyone is so nice and respectable.”

That's of course from having another live spectacle in the Philippine capital next month.

"We'll just do what we always do. We're gonna entertain and put on an amazing show," said Sheamus "It's just a show where everybody can come together and really be entertained with the amazing athleticism and storytelling ability of all these great athletes."

WWE Live in Manila is happening on September 20, 2019, at the Smart-Araneta Coliseum in Cubao, Quezon City. This event will feature SmackDown Live superstars, including the WrestleMania rematch-like WWE Championship match between Kofi Kingston and Daniel Bryan.

Tickets are available at Ticketnet via ticketnet.com.ph or call 911-5555.